Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Wind Up Circus

A Performance

Early in October AIU will be hosting a small festival. Food stands, music, and performances for everyone. After my decision about juggling in Japan this seems to be an excellent chance to show juggling to my fellow student. I signed up immeadiately.

Well not immediately, there was some paperwork, an e-mail correspondance, a meeting, and some deliberation before it became official. Being the procrastinator that I am, Jessi and I showed up at the AIU festival meeting, without much of a clear idea of what we were doing, nor a name for ourselves.

The meeting was conducted all in Japanese, and Jessi and I were the only international students who decided to perform. We had some nice Japanese students explain several things to us in English. We had some vague ideas for an act, a juggling robot and a girl who likes to dance. . . When they asked for a name I decided "Wind-Up Circus" was a cool name and put it down. Guess we're committed to that idea then.


We have since developed the idea. A juggling robot (me) stands on stage. The idea of a japanese mecha comes to mind in terms of style. An akibo juggling robot. Another robot comes on stage, but this one looks more like a ballerina out of a music box (Jessi). The one on stage doesn't move, but the ballerina does. The ballerina goes up to the juggling robot and presses a button on it's arm. From there theres a sort of juggling dance duet. The juggling robot seems to execute a singular purpose, juggling, while the dancing robot tries to get it to dance with her.

Photobucket (You can't see it, but a badge on my costume will say "Six of Nine")

The concept art I drew up, is a compromise on what we want and what we think we're capable of making. My outfit is coming along nicely, the piece on the arm is held together with velcro, and I'm sewing the fabric onto a blackshirt I bought recently for this purpose. The ribbons on Jessi's costume will probably fabric, and they'll probably be sewn on flat to her costume. If we can find more ribbon like material, her costume may improve. She'll also be wearing a plaid skirt, and various shades of color, I will be wearing black and a single shade of blue. I like the contrast we're working on here.

We're using a Zelda Ocaraina of Time song that's been remixed. It has a good mix of heavy techno, mechanical sounds, and clear trumpets and orchestral music. A video will appear on this blog after it's performed. We might film a little bit of it before hand as we're practicing it.

Heck we'll probably bring the act back to Ithaca with us, I am missing Circus a bit.

Should be awesome.

-Mack

No comments:

Post a Comment