Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Hopping Runners!

As I sit here to write this blog my legs pulse a little bit, they don't hurt so much anymore, but there is that twinge satisfaction that comes from a good workout. Today I entered the world of AIU clubs. I sent out a bevy of emails (bevy? bevie? am I using that right) to a variety of AIU clubs, Aikido, Karate, Shorinjikenpo (a martial art), Ecology and Environment, Yatose ( a kind of dance ), and finally the Hopping Runners.

"We are hopping runners! Our goal is very simple ^^ To be in good health! Let us improve our health by running!! If you are interested in hopping runners, please feel free to take part in. JOIN US!!! You will be always welcomed ^^ Thanks"

Easily the most intense bio of all the clubs on the club list we were given at the begginging of the year. I got an immediate e-mail back from the hopping runner guy telling me that I would be welcome, and that they were running at 5:00 today.

I showed up a little early, and for a while I was worried I wasn't in the right place. It hit five o clock and I didn't see any groups. I asked a couple people, in basic japanese if they knew about the club. One guy dirrected me to another guy, who dirrected me to another guy. He was wearing running shoes, so I approached him, and asked him in basic japanese if he knew who the hopping runners were. His response?

"Yeah, I'm a part of the club, I'm also from Seatle, so you don't need to speak in Japanese."

My bad, I'm not sure if the guy was angry with me for that. I'm not sure what level of irritation that would cause, being mistaken for a Japanese student while in Japan. We struck up a mildly awkward conversation, untill more people showed up.

I was introduced to a pair of students who pulled me over and said,

"Nice to meet you, my name is Ryuku, I am a nice guy." and the other guys said

"Hi, I am a nice guy too."

I wasn't sure how to respond to that, I have suspicians, but none that need mentioning. In anycase they were nice. The whole group came to about 12 students. We stretched a little bit, and the leader was very awkward about leading. He'd kinda say "Lets stretch" and some people would stretch and some people would move around. He'd say lets run, and run a little bit and then stop, and then run a little and then stop.

Once we got going though we hit a pretty good pace. We ran west towards the golf course, ran for about 25 minutes, and I was surprised I managed to hold my own. I was at the back of the front of the pack. So if it were a race I was in about 4th. We ran for a while, and I was huffing and puffing. It's been a long while since I've gone on a long jog. Walks and hikes I've done plenty recently, but definately not running.

We stopped right about when I was thinking about really cranking down my speed, not sure how far we were going. Everyone talked for a while, basic sort of "what do you study, where are you from" stuff. About 5 minutes of that and we were running back. One group shot out ahead really quick, I was at the head of the second group for a while. My legs felt like jelly but they didn't hurt. I knew if I could just keep a solid pace and not slow down I would at least get there in the middle of the pack. About ten minutes back and I could really feel my body telling me that it did not appreciate the sudden change of activity. I slowed down and a couple people passed me, I kept going and a couple more people passed me. The group that seperated early must have been bigger than I thought, because I glanced behind me and there were 3 people there. That was a sudden blow. I'm not a competitive person, but it's no fun coming in last. I was no longer trying to finish the race along with everyone else, I was suddenly trying to avoid coming in dead last. That was pretty much the breaking point for me. I jogged a little farther and could just see the AIU campus and I slowed to a bouncy walk. I wasn't going to strain myself for second to last. The last girl behind me came up level with me, she was panting a bit, and complained "tired" I agreed with her. It'd been a while, no shame in that, well maybe a little shame, but in any case I spent the last bit of the run talking to this girl Mayu. She was real nice, she told me her school plans, and I gave her my five minute life story.

We hit the end of the run where everyone was waiting. Fun, tiring, healthy. Twas a good time thanks to the Hopping Runners. Certainly made the hot bath worthwhile. They run again on Thursday, lets see if I do better, crumple like a paper cup, or avoid the group entirely.

O o o o
||\ |\ /| /|
|\ /| /| |\
whoosh


-Mack

No comments:

Post a Comment