Thursday, September 17, 2009

Resolution of the Desklamp Deathray

On last week's episode . . .

Photobucket

I managed to burn a hole in my wall. Not my fault that the college supplied it's students with WMD class lighting, but I was still worried that I would have to pay to repair the damages. I was actually interested in installing a window, so that I could keep an eye on those neighbors who killed me.

So I went to the AIU administraion building, to admit that there was a problem. Honesty is the best policy, especially when it's not your fault. They weren't exactly reassuring but told me that they would send someone to take a look at it.

In half an hour a japanese worker came to the door, he had a wash cloth. He didn't speak any english, but took a look at the wall and rubbed the wash cloth on the gaping hole. He made a phone call, and talked for a while before giving me a wink, and flipped a strange switch on the lamp. I watched in horror as he went to turn it on.

But this time instead of destroying the wall, the light from the lamp rebuilt the wall

Photobucket

Apparently this sort of thing happens all the time, so the lamps have a switch for "destruction" as well as "construction". There was only a small mark remaining as a remnant of the original hole. I did my best to thank him and ask him if there was anything more I could do. I didn't understand what he said, so he wrote it down. I took it to the administration and they told me that there was no problem. They'd come in and clean up the remaining spot after I had left, and that I was not responsibile for any damages.

Truly a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment