Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Overexertion

A Minor Observance

I'm no sociologist, but I do notice things.

Recently I've been coming across a certain phenomenon in Japanese students. Specifically, that every so often I see a couple of them passed out in the library, on park benches, in the cafeteria, and on the floor of meeting rooms. Sometimes their studies are with them, sometimes they have company, and almost invariably they look like they have fallen into the position as though they had narcolepsy.

Perhaps narcolepsy is big here.

In anycase, it seems that sometimes students just can't get to their beds. For example, our library here is open 24/7, and upon visiting the library at midnight I often come across several students asleep at the desks. At one o' clock in the morning I watched a guy's alarm clock watch go off, and he hit the snooze and went back to sleep.

Perhaps they're escaping noisy roommates, perhaps being out of the room helps them study, perhaps they are trying to save time by doing what they need to do at wherever they are and cutting out travel time.

During Yatose practice the other day, one girl said she was sleepy, found a bench and went to sleep on it. The others girls gave her a bit of ribbing on it, but she slept rather soundly.

Not sure why, but I suppose sleeping in random places is just more socially acceptable here. I"m all for it, but I know that back home, that behavior makes you a hobo. Maybe I'll give it a try when I get tired enough to need that kind of power nap.

-Mack

1 comment:

  1. An astute observation! And according to the Psych textbook I'm reading, there actually appears to be perhaps a predisposition in the Japanese gene pool for narcolepsy (approximately 1 in 600 people in Japan vs. only 1 in 2000 people in the US). Not quite the same, but perhaps the genes are related, or it's the same gene and the variance in the level of expression causes the resultant sleepiness.

    When they pinpoint the gene responsible, I can only hope that they dub it something creative like they have some other genes (see: sonic hedgehog, robotnikinin, and pikachurin); perhaps jigglypuffonin?

    ReplyDelete