Friday, October 23, 2009

Happo Cho

Last Weekend I visited the city of Happo Cho, AIU has set up a program to go an visit schools in the area to introduce their students to foreign visitors. I went with 6 others to visit an elementary school. The program only accepted a certain number of students into the program, and I got in but Jessi did not. On the way back to her though I bought cake, and all was well.

In this program, the students came to us. There were 6 of us foreign students and we sat in chairs inside this gym, and the Japanese elementary students came to us.

Photobucket

Photobucket There were three "classes", where 1-2 students came, then 3-4, and finally 5-6. The all lined up in front of us, and they all brought their own chairs from classrooms. We introduced ourselves and the teachers led us on towards repeating some english phrases for the students. Which was followed by a kind of game.

Photobucket

Photobucket
We played Fruits Basket which is kind of like musical chairs. Everyone gets assigned a word of some sort, and is gathered 'round in a circle with chairs. There's enough chairs for everyone except for one person, who has to go into the center. That person calls out a word, and everyone who has that word has to move to a different seat. If you call "Fruits Basket" everyone has to change.


Also they had unicycles . . .

Photobucket

At lunch time us college students were seperated and had lunch with the kids. This was a great experiance. I had some conversations with the kids, and they dragged me all over the school to show me stuff. I couldn't always understand them but they were very talkative.

As the dragged me around, they showed me their stilts. . .
Photobucket
Photobucket
The group of girls who were using the stilts, gathered altogether and as I was trying to figure out how to use the stilts they would ask me a question every now and again. The asked me if I had a girlfriend, and when I said yes, they applauded. Wasn't quite sure how to take that . . .
Photobucket

These kids I spend some time with after lunch, during "reading time". Instead of reading I taught them basic juggling. I had brought my balls with me, and when I had made my self introduction I did a bit of juggling for the class. The kids really got into it, and many got the basic concept, pretty good but one kid nearly had it in under 15 minutes. I love teaching kids how to juggle.


It was sad to leave them, but on the way back to the university there was a beautiful sunset. I hope that I will have a chance to see those kids again, but even if I don't I hope I was able to have a positive impact on their lives.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment