Friday, October 23, 2009

Box Curry

Now in a variety of designer colors

Photobucket

So I mentioned box curry sometime before. It's curry that comes in a box, when you want to eat it, you take it out of the box (it's in a metal bag) and boil it in the bag, then place it on food.

Photobucket

Easy. Inside the bag is curry, potatoes, meat, and carrots. All of it is precooked, and the packet is nonperishable (apparently). For a fast food fix they beat the hell out of TV dinners.

What's the difference
Photobucket

"1" Curry. The mildest curry, it was like beef stew. Good but very lackings, it has excellent uses in bolstering otherwise boring sauces. Having pasta but want more than a jar of tomato sauce of it. Curry "1" will make it into a hearty bolonaise with potatoes.

Photobucket

"2" Curry. Slightly more spicy than 1, this curry begins to still taste like curry, but is in no way spicy. When I made this curry Jessi was pleasantly suprise at the taste and texture of it.

Photobucket
"3" Curry. Three curry actually begins to have the curry taste as well as a bit of the spicy taste asscoiated with curry. For many people I would probably suggest the "3" curry, it's great by itself on rice.

Photobucket
"4" Curry. "4" Curry was my favorite out of the five, it's got a good kick, but it's mild enough so that you can enjoy the flavor. Jessi had this one with me, and agreed that it wasn't so spicy that you couldn't eat it, but was still spicy.

Photobucket
"5" Curry. So at the outset I figured that none of the curry's would reach a level of spicyness that would deter me. After finding "4" so delicious, I figured "5" wouldn't be much hotter. I was suprised, "5" curry is very spicy. I can handle very spicy, but it begins to just taste like black pepper to me after a while. After a few bites, I defrosted some corn and added a bit of butter to it, and it came out just splendid.



When I leave Japan I will severely miss box curry. I think I will just have to make a whole lot of curry from scratch.

-Mack

No comments:

Post a Comment