Saturday, August 29, 2009

Dance Party

Yesterday I found a note on my door inviting my to a sort of dance party. Every door had one. Jessi and I decided to go, and we found a pretty awkward mix of international students and Japanese students.

I was a little worried as we watched an American student attempt to teach a Japanese student what freak dancing was. However, the next some was the Macarena and that was common ground for everyone. There was a very clear division of Japanese Students and International Students, but Jessi and I tried to interact with the Japanese students as much as possible.

Photobucket

It was actually pretty standard for a dance. Groups of people forming circles and moving a little to the left and a little to the right. At first I was nervous, but after a while I busted out my own paticular brand of embarrising dance moves.

We had a break dance circle and noone knew how to breack dance, I did a couple awkward moves from John Travolta, and Jessi and I did a couple dance moves. A couple international studnts did some interesting moves, and a few Japanese students tried to embarrass each other by dragging them to the center.

The highlight of the evening though was a unique kind of communication with a japanese student. I did a little bit of hand raving, and I tried to teach a couple Japanese girls how to do it. A Japanese guy saw me doing it, and mimiced my hand motions and then shot an energy beam at me. I dodged it, but he kept at it with another barrage. One clipped my shoulder but I retaliated with my own blast of energy. I missed, and he began to dodge and weave between people. I couldn't get a clear shot, he feinged to the left and hit me square in the chest with a hadoken which sent me reeling. He tried to follow it up, but I dodged with a forward roll across the floor and out of the circle. We got some laughs and applause, and gave awkward bows.

All in all felt pretty good about it. Lost a whole lot of dignity, but still pretty cool.

-Mack

No comments:

Post a Comment