Monday, August 24, 2009

Arrival

I've been in Japan for about 24 hours and already I feel like I have so much to tell.

The Plane Ride
The flight was a long 12 hours over the Pacific. Suprisingly I only watched one movie, T.R.Y., a japanese about China in the 20's I think . . . 40's, I'm not sure. Actually what I found myself doing most was playing the video games they offered on the plane. The actually had a decent collection, and the control panel popped out of the armrest as a controller. Jessi slept for the first section of the journey, and I played Space Invaders (or the airline equivalent). It was nice to have her there though, plane rides can be very lonely.

Landing in Tokyo
We got off the plane a little late with only about 3 hours to get though customs, get our bags, and get to Haneda Airport. We were decidedly nervous about Jessi's medicine, since, if she were a drug dealer, she could have tried to smuggle a fortune of pill shaped recreational drugs into Japan. She had quite of deal of paperwork with her, and her and her mom had already put hours and hours into sending the appropriae documents to Japan. Here's the thing, they didn't even stop her. We went right through customs like we were diplomats, the guy checked our passports, and didn't seem at all concerned with looking in our bags. We were worried about making the 8:15 bus, we ended up getting on the 6:15 bus. No problem with baggage, no problem getting a bus ticket, no problem catching the bus.

Bus Ride to Haneda
I consider it a privelege and an honor to be able to visit Japan, so it bugs me a little bit when I find people here in Japan that perpetuate the image of the terrible american tourist. We got on the bus, easy, but there weren't two seats together so Jessi and I sat across from the aisle of each other. I sat next to a kid with a black shirt, crew cut hair, and tatoo's on the inside of his arms. He had a scowl on his face, and mumbled at intervals things like "this place stinks" etc. When the bus started, it began to play some soothing japanese music, to which he replied, "fuck this, hope my ipod'll last the trip" This is the man I shared an bus with, and I don't know why he's in Japan. By then Jessi and I were pretty exhausted from the flight, the japanese countrysde was gorgeous, but I was pretty much ready to just pass out.

Departing from Haneda
I went to the wrong terminal, couldn't get the automatic machine to work, and nearly knocked over a pair of japanese people. Other than that we got tickets, checked our bags, went through security easy as though we were in John Wayne Airport. On the other side of the security checkpoint, I got some mini-sandwiches, served on sweet bread. I would've gotten a picture, but again, I was dog tired. We got on the plane, and again no problem about Jessi's drugs.

Flying to Akita
The Flight to Akita is the only one that Jessi and I aren't next to each other on. It's only an hour flight, and we we're just ready to have a bed. I sat next to a japanese man in his 50's, and after some shaky pleasantries, we actually hit it off very well. He asked me about my trip here to Japan, and I asked him about his life, and about Japan. His english was very good, except for a variety of nouns that he couldn't remember; I did me best in terms of japanese, which I think put him at ease a little bit. After we had begun our decent, he told me something, and wanted to impress it very clearly on me, to make sure I understood. It seemed very important that I know this.

"The Japanese people are very shy people, but they are very kind"

He told me that often times even when a person looks like they need help, Japanese people won't offer to help them. But if a person asks for help, Japanese people will help them no matter what you need help with and no matter what they were doing. I've found this before when I've heard from friends who asked a person for dirrections to Japan, and that person actually went with them to where they were going, despite the fact that it can be quite a ways a way.

I still can't be sure why this man, Toshiki, wanted me to know this piece of information. did he want me to know that whenever I needed help I could ask for it? Was he attempting to defend a part of Japanese life that to some would come across as aloofness? Or was he perhaps reaching out to me, telling me that the Japanese people are very shy, and that I should do my best to interact with people in such a way that puts them at ease so that I may form strong relationships with them.

He was a very inquisitive person, and he took out a map and told me about a variety of places around Akita. More than that, he inspired in me a bit of introspection. Thank you Toshiki.

Akita
We got off the plane, and this time it was knowing that this was our final destination. We got our bags, went outside, there was a taxi just waiting there, for whatever reason. We approached him, he helped us put our bags in his trunk. We told him "Plaza Crypton" and he knew right where that was. We slept good that night.



Just for the record here's a lit of things we thought would go wrong

-Wouldn't get visa's in time (we got 'em with time to spare)
-Mack forgets something at home (didn't happen)
-Plane delayed or canceled (on time)
-Jessi's meds would get stuck in Security in LA (no problem)
-Jessi's medical forms would get stuck in Immigration (didn't even ask her for them)
-Jessi's meds would get stuck in Customs in Narita (didn't go through our bags)
-Our bags would go missing (they were like 2nd on the carosel)
-We would miss the bus to Haneda (easy)
-Miss our flight to Akita (2 hours early)
-Jessi's meds would get stuck in Security in Haneda (not likely)
-Our bags wouldn't show up in Akita (thank goodness)
-We wouldn't get transportation to Plaza Crypton (it was just waiting there)
-We wouldn't get into our rooms at the Plaza Crypton (it was easy)

It's so easy it almost makes me frustrated that we sank so much time into making sure everything worked out. Almost. Because overprepared is a bazillion times better than underprepared. You can get to a plane 5 hours early, but you can't be five minutes late.


-Mack

No comments:

Post a Comment