Saturday, December 12, 2009

Juggling in Japan 2: Otedama

The Entertainer
In my time here in Japan Jessi and I have performed for an audience about 4 times. I've performed a solo act for an audience twice, and have spent a good deal of time doing little tricks here and there for elementary school. As I've talked to a even greater number of people about Juggling, I've heard otedama come up more and more.

When I visited my host family for the first time, I brought my juggling balls to show them. After I showed them a little bit of juggling, my host mom brought out a bunch of otedama that she had made from kimono fabric. They were absolutely gorgeous, and not filled nearly so much as a western juggling ball, so they make a bunch of noise when you use them. She knew a little otedama, but hadn't done it since she was a little girl.

When I met Hiroko my host sister recently, my host mom made me a set of otedama made of kimono silk. They're bright orange and filled with azuki beans. The stitch on them is actually quite amazing. They are really well made.

It wasn't until we went to Jessi's host family house that we were really schooled in Otedama culture. When I showed her host parents the otedama that my host mom had made me, Jessi's host mom was really excited and nostalgic. She hadn't done it much since she was a little girl, but she got the balls flying nonetheless after a little bit of practice.

Otedama looks like what everyone expects juggling to look like, it's the circle pattern. Toss high ones over with one hand, and make small quick passes with the other hand. Looks just like when Bugs bunny shows off juggling. They also do two with one hand. The interesting thing is, that there are songs associated with otedama, which is why the balls make so much noise; it's to keep the beat of the song.

"Don don pan pan, don don pan. don don pan pan, don pan pan. dodopan dodopan don pan pan"

This was the chorus that her mom had us learn. It was an Akita folk song, and it's incredible to think that we were able to learn it.


-Mack

No comments:

Post a Comment